FASTING FROM THE WORLD AND FEASTING ON GOD : THE AFTERMATH

/
1 Comments
I gave a movie review first because undoubtedly most will care to read this information more than they will care to read about what I thought about the latest Dreamworks production. To be eight days removed from 40 days of fasting, I have found the effects of it continue to reveal themselves to me. An additional title to a book that I read said this "40 days of fasting from the world and feasting on God." If anything described the experience it would be that.

The outset was simple: take the religious observance of Lent and instead of leaving red meat behind to rid ourselves of television, movies, video games, the internet, mass use of the cellphone and non-worship music. In theory it sounded straightforward and easy enough. As the days turned into weeks and weeks turned into a month, the immersion that I had done to myself with these mediums revealed itself over and over again. If anything could be taken from the fast, it's that boundaries were missing in a lot of areas in my life. I've heard it said that "if everything is important, nothing is" and that was true in life. Between the blogs, Twitter updates, checking Facebook, updating on MySpace, visiting other friends / colleagues blogs, Google / Yahoo searches and casual perusing of the internet, I had a part time job on my hand. Add the DVR'd shows that Rachel and I watch, the random shows that are on because it's easier to put something on TV than to sit in silence and mindless days and nights sitting in front of the television and red packages of Netflix, part time job just got 3/4 time. And with that, you find the amount of "noise" that you and I add to our lives. I'm not presuming that there is a reason that lies in all of us, but we each fill our lives with so much noise, it's no wonder we need multiple reminders to remember.

As I looked to the fast, it was much more than simply giving things up and creating new boundaries (though time and walks with my wife were an added bonus), it truly was an opportunity to take out the things that most prevent a full time relationship with the LORD and give Him space to operate. The amazing thing is that as I was intentional about allowing God time and space to speak, that He was faithful to do so. Regardless of the setting, there was something really obvious about making my day revolve around thinking of Jesus. And though the arts and creation can often reveal God to us, it's another thing to seek Him out every chance we get. Time and time again, God continued to show that if we continue to "seek Him first"...you know the rest.

Though I cannot speak for my wife, or the students of the ministry, to those I have spoken with, it was an experience that continues to be one of our favorite and most celebrated. When you realize what you are missing, there is nothing like finding out that it was right there waiting for you. And though I loved being able to tune to ESPN and watch some of the Netflix movies that were anxiously waiting at home, I did find that the more I give God, the more He returns to me. And more I opportunity I lend to actively hearing His voice (and not passively hoping He reveals Himself to me in an obscure medium), the more I find that He was "already here and I didn't even know it."

If more conversation about this is desired on your part, then I'm more than happy to elaborate throughout the comments section and via email or Twitter. To those who are curious, my Google Reader account reached 1000+ by Easter. Apparently Google stops counting at 1000. Here's to catching up on that. To the blogosphere, it's good to be back. Nice seeing you again.
----------------
Now playing: Mute Math - Clockwork


You may also like

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice to hear from you brother