EMOTIONS / FEELINGS NOT QUITE REALITY

/
2 Comments
I've been in a lot of conversations recently where some friends and I have been able to reason together. Since seeing the Great Debaters (see review below), I've been intrigued with debate and have had some fun being a devil's advocate (in being the negative, not hooked up with the devil; just so there's no confusion). One of the great conversations I got into recently was with a friend of mine Ryan Joy (listed in the People I Read). One of the things we brought up was to first assess what should be our "baseline" and how we should judge all the experiences we come in contact with. One of the things we noticed was how often we say that something "is" because "we feel it."

What was really revealing for me was how many times I convinced myself of something because my emotions were contributing to "its" case. Do you ever have that happen? Being emotional beings, it seems that all of us find ourselves in this territory. Whether it's in relationships (both romantic and inter-personal), circumstances or anything else you would like to attach emotions to, they have the ability to get away from us if we don't watch ourselves. The even greater question is, have you ever had your emotions or feelings lie to you? Not that they weren't telling the truth, but that your emotions / feelings weren't quite matching up to reality? I know I have! it took a moment of checking myself (whether early or late) to figure out just where I was arriving at.

The more conversations I have, the more it seems that truth comes up (surprise, surprise considering some of the blogs below). I can even remember talking with a friend and her using the phrase that "truth was being weeded out from the lies." It seems all of us want the truth (and sometimes we can't handle the truth). But in our quest for truth, do we trust those things which end up being misleading? I'm not the most "emotional" guy. Nor do I frequent in conversations about feelings. But for all of us, no matter how emotional or in touch with our feelings, does that little nagging feeling on the inside sometimes get the best of us? Does the "good vibe" or "good feeling" about something convince us of it's validity, all the while the truth is looking us in the face? More and more we are in need of truth. More and more we are in need of truth that is absolute. As a pastor, you already know where I'm going. As a Christian, you already know where I'm going. I read a fantastic Psalm today and I love what it says in 91:4

"He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler."

In a world full of lying attacks, we are all in need of truth that covers and can be a refuge. If you are in need of some absolutes, in a world where truth can be objective, look no further than the bonded leather sitting on a end table or bookshelf near you.
----------------
Now playing: Matisyahu - Beat Box


You may also like

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

btw - in case you forgot i'm like sandpaper 400 (pretty abrasive)
but also wondering would you have liked that movie better if 'the great' was replaced with 'the master'?
rofl!!!
love you dude
6 weeks
we leave on the 28th

Anonymous said...

Funny how I was about to start writing up nearly this same thing. I guess Ill just post a link to you and let people read it! :)