Leaders, Keep Volunteering

/
0 Comments
When I first accepted Christ, one of the first things I did was volunteer. Fortunately, my parents had instilled it into me prior to that moment, but my natural instinct was to give back as I had been given to.

As I came to Springfield, MO to attend Central Bible College, again my first instinct was to serve. I found a local church to serve within while I was in school so I could match what I was learning in class with how that works in "the real world" (along with the fact that I had so little time in church that if I was going to be help lead one in a couple of years, I needed to have a little bit more experience). As this progressed, I found myself volunteering anywhere and everywhere I could.

Student Ministry.
Media.
Events.

If it needed someone, I would make it happen. Then something crazy happened.

That local church hired me.

Probably one of the coolest things that could happen for a 22 year-old recently graduated Bible College student. Now, all of those things I was doing as a volunteer would have a paycheck attached to it. What a deal!

Yet, the more distance I got from those initial days of volunteering, the more I found a need to return to it. There was something missing as I had begun to give and give, but now that giving had been match with getting.

One of the temptation for ministry leaders is that as you begin to receive a paycheck for doing something you were at one time you were willing to do for free, that you no longer do those things anymore.

I get it. We're all busy. We have lots of events to attend, meetings to go to and a full schedule. Here's what I found out though. So do the volunteers that staff your ministry. Last I checked, they're all busy. They have lots of events to attend to. Lots of meetings to go to. A full schedule. In fact, they are probably busier than us, seeing as they are all that AND a volunteer.

As I've returned to finding time to volunteer, I've also found that it has helped me understanding volunteers again with a new perspective. A lot changes when you are in the throws of it while trying to recruit, implement and deploy.

In the coming days, I'll share more of what I've learned.


You may also like

No comments: