Lessons I've Learned from Volunteering

/
0 Comments
As I said in a previous posts, one thing I want to keep doing is to be sure that I am volunteering. Many added benefits, but you can read that previous post. Today, I want to talk about some things I've learned as I've volunteered.
  1. Be Consistent. I volunteer twice a week at a local high school (more coming on that later). The days I help are Monday and Wednesday during their lunch periods, 11:15-1:15. One of the hardest things for me to hear is when someone asks me, "Are you still helping out on Monday?" Haven't seen you here in a while. What that lets me know, is that even if I have only missed a couple of Mondays, in their mind, I don't help on Mondays anymore. Consistency is key.

  2. Communicate. One of the things I want to be sure of is that the local high school I serve is constantly hearing from me. Days when I'll miss, observations I made or places where I feel like I would be able to help them in. I want to be sure that as a volunteer and one who is here to serve, they know they can put me to use. I want more! So, each day I miss, they'll hear from me before (hopefully). Opportunities to serve, I thank them for. As dialogue with them increases, their dialogue with me increases. Win, win.

  3. Make a Difference. Finally, make your volunteering count. No one volunteers and no one wants volunteers to just fill space. That's called a place holder. It's bad for the volunteer and bad for the organization. Volunteer so that it makes a difference. One of the great compliments to me was when I heard some at the high school say "Monday and Wednesdays are our best days. Justin is here." If ever I don't feel like volunteering that week, I think of the times I've heard that. Instant recharge.
I'm sure there are many, many more. One things I've learned about lists, shorts ones are the best.


You may also like

No comments: