Leading Volunteers. As Learned By a Volunteer

/
0 Comments
As I was writing the previous post, I learned some ways to improve leading my team of volunteers and I figured I would share them.
  1. Communicate. I've never heard of too little communicate. In fact, many volunteers feel like they are being communicated with enough. Now this can get overboard (as I learned this week), but only if you are communicated the same information multiple times. If there is nothing new to say, don't say it. But if something needs to be said, say it. No one fights knowing more.
  2. Provide New Opportunities. One of the great joys for me has been when one of the staff at the local high school ask if I would like to help them with something.Whenever I hear "We were thinking of doing [blank], and wondered if you would be interested or available to help?" There are times where you need to say no so you stay alive. More often than not though, you want more! Don't think your volunteers will automatically say no. Throw out new opportunities and see who wants to jump in.
  3. Appreciate with Words. I'm a sucker for words of appreciation. Maybe it's just my personality type, but the days where I heard from the lead staff that they appreciate me or are thankful, it's the days where I need to be charged up again. A thank you with a high five or handshake makes all the difference
  4. Appreciate with Cards. Handwritten Cards. In a technology laden world, we thrive on email, text and Social Networks. These have value and meaning. But I have yet to find something that means as much as a handwritten card. Why? It takes more time. It takes more thought. It takes more effort. For all of these reasons, it means more. And despite the fact that our Inbox can be filled with nice emails, to find something in your mailbox means more. Especially when it's not an advertising book, credit card offer or bill.
Lead volunteers? Appreciate your team.


You may also like

No comments: